Wednesday, January 02, 2019

"I am a librarian. I also have no idea what I'm doing"

I am a librarian. I also have no idea what I'm doing. I imagine that's an absurd way to begin an article that aspires to give advice about the library sector to new librarians. But I did – and still do – have a knot of uncertainty in the pit of my stomach when it comes to my library work, a nagging thought that perhaps I’m not the best librarian I could be.
It was so different when the life of a librarian was just a potential half-formed musing. In my mind, library work was an idyllic journey of chatting endlessly about books, helping others find hidden literary treasures and delving into the finer points of research. I could smell the books on their shelves, hear the rustle of papers and the gentle tapping of a keyboard. This imagined future self pulled her hair up into an ironic bun and sported a cardigan. Serious librarian things were happening. Little did I know that libraries were changing, and the better for it.
Zitat aus: Rebecca Dale: "The new librarian's roadmap: at the crossroads of expectation and reality". In: The Australian Library Journal 65 (2016) 4, S. 262-267

No comments:

Post a Comment